Christmas Wars

Yes... it's thats time of the year again, lights in the streets, lights in the shops, toys companies make furious advertising between one cartoon and the other, my son would like them all, and snow is preparing to add suggestion to the main event... Christmas... but not everyone is happy about it ... on the snow covered hills near the pole, the evil Anti-Claus is lurking Santa Stronghold and summoning his minions...will he be able to stop Christmas ?



Since  I read for the first time the HOTT rules i got in love for the Christmas wars. Unfortunately I found no one making the right miniatures for all the troops involved. I found gnomes and goblin,  plus now , as you see later, some snowmen and killer trees, but of different scales and different producers.  Also, I really wanted to use some plastic figures and i thought lets try.

Still,  I had problems in finding everything of the same scale, so I thought to use different scales, after all these are not historical armies, so no strict rules to follow, and beside it is normal that a gnome is smaller than Santa. So I used 25mm, 20mm and 15mm... all together. will they blend ?

This is my diary of how i made my two armies.... lets see how they come out, also considering that my time for doing this is very much limited and that I plan to play with my son during the xmas vacations...

Santa Claus Army
The "good" army is made of  :
1 Hero general (Santa himself), one magician gnome on mushroom, one beast (polar bear) , one flyer gnome on reindeer, 2 gnomes with magic candy canes as spears, 3 shooters gnomes (with snow balls) and one base of blades (gnome king and firends)

For the gnomes, as said I decided to go with plastic. I decided to use the  Caesar Miniatures dwarfs, which have really an excellent quality. Ok, dwarves are not gnomes, still they can became gnomes with some intervention (althought I'm sure they would be not hapy with that)

Then I addes some small gnomes caps to all, for the spear, I eliminated the weapons and added some candy canes made of wire, for the shooters , I added instead some snow balls. I decided to let some of the shooters keep the guns and crossbows (as said, dont have too much time , plus it gives some variety) , just one piece for every base will have snowballs
For the flyer, I found a reindeer toy and pressed into service, the picture is really bad, but just to give an idea.
It is, the reindeer, a little to still for flying, but hey... is magic isnt it ?
For the polar bear, the choice is easy... now I know that it could seem that is not much fitting, but I must confess that the idea of making the two armies also came from this object, which  I used as amulet when playing dbm, so here it is, meet the polar bear
Now the main actor... for this I searched in the warp of my wargaming closet till i found him.. .25mm from Fenryll miniature, the good part is that he was associated to his nemesys, but more on this later, here is Santa
So what's next ? Oh yes the magician on mushroom... well my first idea was to go out and buy some toy mushroom somewhere... but they were too big, so i decided to make mine out of polystirene, and believe me, if I can do it, everybody can
here it is

Well, looks like they are ready for paint...



So long for the good guys, now lets take a look to the bad uns:
The Anti-Claus army
Their list includes :
1 cleric general, the Anti-Claus, 1behemot (abominable snowman), Jack frost as sneaker, 2 spearss (evil snowmen with brooms) 2 warbands (goblin fanatics) 4 hordes (snow goblin minions) 2 lurkers (decorated killer xmas trees). This list apparently is more a challenge in respect to the previous, but at the end I was satisfied with the result.
For the Anti-Claus himself, as i mentioned before, it was included with the good santa, and it's an orc.
For the abominable snowman, i took a xmas decoration and modified it a bit (repainted, added mean  eyebrown, added carrot nose) in the picture here during the modfication, not yet concluded
For the goblins, once again I used plastic, the fanatics (warband) will get some modifications to differentiate them from the minions, possibly a furry mantle.

 For Jack Frost, initially I searched some miniature similar to the jack frost of the 5 legends movie. I actually found it (well was a prototype) but then,  when exploring the warp for the santa claus I also found this miniature, and suddenly I thought it perfect. Its fenryll, and the sphere it holds looks like a snowball
For the killer trees, well I was lucky as


Commenti

Post più popolari